Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Diet Coke, It's no joke

It's no secret.  I have a problem.  I am addicted to Diet Coke.  And not just soft drinks...only Diet Coke. 


It started when I went to Europe.  The people over there to not drink nearly enough water and are clearly dehydrated.  We were in London and I had not had ANYTHING to drink yet that day.  Some of us finally decided to find somewhere in London where we could buy a drink.  We found a place, but there wasn't any water, so I got a Diet Coke, or a Coca-Cola Lite rather. 
 
It was the tastiest drink of my life.  I mean can you remember a time when had a drink that tasted really good?  I find it strange that I do (especially when it was 5 years ago!).
 
Since then my obsession has gotten worse and worse, to the point where I feel incomplete if I am having a meal with no Diet Coke.  My mom always laughs at me because every time we go out to eat I will get a beer AND a Diet Coke.  Or a margarita AND a Diet Coke. 
 
I have decided, as of Sunday, that I am going to give up Diet Coke.  The side effects (kidney damage, bone loss, weight gain, tooth enamel damage, etc., etc.,) are being talked about more and more, and I decided it is just time.  I can't even believe I am saying this. 
 
I am starting out by just drinking one a day (usually at lunch).  Then I will reduce down again to a half of one.  Then hopefully to none, or maybe just an occasional one when we go out to eat or something. 
 
My problem with this:
Almost all low-cal, fizzy beverages have Aspartame.  I like my fizz!
I like water, but I also like flavor sometimes! (Add Mio or Crystal Light maybe?)
Tea stains your teeth.
Coffee stains your teeth.
Regular cokes have a ton of calories!
 
So really there is a trade off for everything that you drink besides water (which is boring).
 
Now for Day 2 of giving up Diet Coke. 
 
I'll keep you updated on how I am doing!

2 comments:

Casey Wiggins said...

I feel you Elyse! My roommate will go to McDonalds and get a Diet Coke AND a Smoothie. My drug of choice is regular Dr. Pepper. Not much better with high fructose corn syrup. I know how hard it is to turn to water when soda is everywhere. I mean, when you go through a drive through they automatically assume that you are going to have one. Good luck!!!

Casey
Second Grade Math Maniac
Bear in Mind Blog Design

Elyse said...

Thank you!! So far I have been okay!

Post a Comment

 
Content My Life with a Cherry on Top | Design Copyright Poppiness Designs