Thursday, May 30, 2013

Black Bean and Spinach Enchiladas

Okay seriously...I don't post recipes on here like I used to, but this one was amazing!  A must-post!
 
Black Bean and Spinach Enchiladas
(find the pinned recipe here)
 
They were so good!  When I told Kelly that I was making these, he was not excited about it.
 
"I don't like black beans," he said.
 
"I don't really like cooked spinach," he said.
 
He took one bite and said that it was one of the better meals I had ever made!  ~Brushing the shoulders off~
 
So here's the recipe:
 
 
Ingredients {For the sauce}
3 cups organic low sodium vegetable broth
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. chili powder
Salt/pepper
I actually used store-bought sauce that I found at The Fresh Market.  It was much easier and very good.  I did not feel like messing with all of that!
 
Here is the kind I bought:
 
 
Ready made.  All I had to do was pour it out of the bag!

{For the enchiladas}
15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups corn (I used frozen, thawed)
6 oz. fresh baby spinach
6 green onions, thinly sliced
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
2 tsp. cumin
3 cups shredded 3 cheese blend (or pepper jack, etc.)
8 whole wheat or flour tortillas
 
 
I already had black beans that were leftover from something else.  I already had the frozen and the whole wheat tortillas in the freezer, which made this that much easier!

Directions
Make the sauce: in a saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add tomato paste, flour, 2 tsp. cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder. Cook 1 minute, whisking. Whisk in broth, bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer, and cook until slightly thickened about 8 minutes. Salt/pepper to taste, and set aside. - Again I skipped this part. 

Saute the spinach in olive oil over medium heat for 1-2 minutes until slightly wilted.
In a large bowl, combine beans, 2 cups cheese, spinach, corn, green onions, 2 tsp. cumin, and cilantro.
 

Preheat oven to 375. Lightly spray a 9x13 inch baking dish, and pour a small amount of the sauce to coat the bottom.
Generously fill tortillas with mixture, roll up tightly with ends tucked in, and place seam side down in dish.
Pour remaining sauce over the enchiladas, coating evenly. Sprinkle 1 cup cheese on top.
Bake about 20 minutes, and garnish with cilantro and/or green onions (optional).
 
 
 
The only thing I would change would be to use two pouches of sauce or reduce the recipe.  It was supposed to make 8 enchiladas, which is already a lot, but I ended up with 10, which is really a lot.  One pouch of sauce would be enough for 1/2 recipe, but if you are making a whole recipe I would use two.
 
 
I served it with lettuce and sour cream, maybe a little ranch if you want, and broccoli with hummus on the side.  Broccoli doesn't really go with this, but we just really like broccoli in this house. 
 
I ended up freezing the leftovers, but I am sure we will be pulling them out soon because it was so good!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Content My Life with a Cherry on Top | Design Copyright Poppiness Designs